March 1, 2016

March came softly as a lamb with warm sunshine and gentle air. Surprised it could be March already, I am not quite mentally ready for this slice of life challenge. But I’m here. I’m doing it–because the last two years taught me that writing daily changes you, lengthens your view, deepens your perceptions, and gives you new friends. Just as the days begin to get longer and plants send their roots down and their shoots up, writing is an act that is a struggle to affirm a life. This month I hope to reach down and reach up to find a brighter day. That’s what I need to say today.

1. The Purple Lady (@th_purpl_lady)
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 22:49:04

I’m not feeling ready for the challenge either, but it seems to go by so quickly that I know if I can keep to it, it will be over before we know it. I hope you are able to find your way through it all and get that brighter day.

2. daywells
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:05:11

Great for you being here! looking forward to each and every day. 🙂

3. Darin Johnston
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:09:35

>March came softly as a lamb with warm sunshine and gentle air.<

March did not come in that way here in Iowa! Snow, cold, and confusion with multiple schedules being changed before school started.

And yet, writing was done, a slice was finished, and another day winds down to a close.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I look forward to seeing more of your writing in the coming days! 🙂

4. pittswitts
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:19:59

I really enjoyed the infusion of nature in your reflections. March is a funny kind of month. Wrought with high highs and low lows (at least in my area). It mirrors our lives so well.

5. wakeupandwrite
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:26:55

Good to be reading you again – like you, I’ve been away but looking forward to this day because I know this month means so much to me when it’s done. Good luck and good slicing!

6. KristaLee11
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:34:59

I confess, it was your blog name, Pelicans and Prose, that first captured my eye. (Mine isn’t titles so cleverly in the URL – kristalee11.wordpress.com – but I call it The Blue Heron.)
    Clicking over, I was delighted to read your post.
    We might not be “ready.”
    But oh, yes!
    We will grow and be glad we did.

This is my first year for SOL and I look forward to the adventure!

7. smcninch
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 23:58:10

I love this line “writing is an act that is a struggle to affirm a life.” So true.

I’m looking forward to more of your stories, prose and pelicans! 🙂

8. franmccrackin
    Mar 02, 2016 @ 00:02:35

After I read your kind comment to me, I found your post.
    I love the directionality- lengthen, deepen, reach down, reach up. You sound like a plant who is awakened by the March mildness and is a bit surprised to find yourself starting to grow!
    I’ll look for your posts this month.

9. sallydonnelly11
    Mar 02, 2016 @ 06:59:37

I love your comparison of writing to plants! My favorite line is “I hope to reach down and reach up to find a brighter day”. Looking forward to reading all that will bloom on your blog!