March 17, 2018

This is a writing exercise from the book, Rip the Page! Adventures in Creative Writing by Karen Benke. I came across this book through reading Catherine Flynn’s blog which you can find here. (Thank you, Catherine!) Because I am slightly distracted by family visiting, I thought I would try  the prompt, “What Can You Write With?”

I can write with the softly-spun fibers of spring lamb’s wool.

I can write with the worn, wooden spoons of succulent feasts.

I can write with the footpaths of friends walking through life.

I can write with the breath of babies asleep on my shoulder.

I can write with the block towers of toddlers dreaming.

I can write with the soundwaves of songbirds in deep green forests.

How about you? What can you write with?

1. bjdonaldson
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 14:19:42

What a beautiful poem. I love it. My favorite line is “I can write with the breath of babies asleep on my shoulder.” Thanks for the slice.

2. teachingbychance
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 14:41:40

Love this idea! I especially love the line “I can write with the soundwaves of songbirds in deep green forests”. That is something I could definitely write with.

3. mrspalmerponders
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 15:52:27

This is such a unique way to reflect. Your lines make me think that you hold your family close and they are the true inspiration for your writing. Beautiful slice!

4. readingteachsu
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 16:12:06

I love this technique, but your words give it life.

5. macrush53
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 16:26:05

i really enjoyed reading this. the soundwaves of birds is my favorite line.

6. Elisabeth Ellington
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 17:23:08

This is beautiful! (I also ordered that book after I read Catherine’s piece. Will be glad when it gets here. I need it!) I love the “worn wooden spoons of succulent feasts.”

7. persistenceandpedagogy
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 18:22:31

This is lovely. Normally I try to choose my favourite lines from posts, but this time I can’t choose. From “softly-spun fibers of spring lamb’s wool” to “worn wooden spoons of succulent feasts” to “the breath of babies asleep on my shoulder” and “the block towers of toddlers dreaming.” It really is beautiful. It’s practically a lullabye. Wow.

8. Elana Waugh
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 18:38:31

I love this idea. I am currently keeping a list of neat posts I see throughout this weekend challenge and creating a list for my own students to use. I just put this idea on the list.

9. JudyK
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 19:45:35

What a beautiful slice! Your words are wonderful…. I especially like “breaths of babies” and “footpaths of friends”. ~JudyK

10. Debbie Lynn
    Mar 17, 2018 @ 21:10:04

I love this idea. I can write with the crunching shells beneath my feet. 🙂