March 14, 2020

When I began writing on this blog seven years ago, I had no idea what impact writing would have in my life. I had always enjoyed writing, but I had never made any of my writing public. The first few years every blog post began with the day’s date. I found titles intimidating and was reluctant to commit to a title.

After a few years of doing the SOL challenge, I decided that I needed to take a step forward and began to title my pieces. It was hard at first, but then I began to enjoy the process.

But this month, or at least today, it seems like the date is again the best choice to document this strange season. Right now, I’m feeling pretty paralyzed with anxiety and my mind is going a million directions without the structure of Saturday chores before Sunday church before Monday work. When entrenched habits are not possible, what new habits need to be created?

I look at my overflowing bookshelves and can’t decide what I might be able to read with any concentration. I look at all my knitting and sewing projects that need finishing. Then I think I really should be cooking, but how much soup or stew can two people eat? I eat a few more M&Ms. And then I think that I really should be thinking of how I can serve my neighbors and friends. Social media just makes the burden of “should” worse.

Is anyone else finding it hard to think of small moments that don’t involve empty shelves at the grocery store?

1. Mandy Robek (@mandyrobek)
    Mar 14, 2020 @ 22:23:38

I finally went to the grocery today and missed the crowds and still the shelves were empty of sorts. I just heard the phrase decision paralysis – I hope as we navigate this transition you can make one book choice and let your mind wander – leaving this all behind.

2. Debbie Lynn
    Mar 14, 2020 @ 22:39:23

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. Getting out on the river today and disconnecting from the world was rejuvenating for me! 🙂

• mgminer
      Mar 14, 2020 @ 22:40:45

I think I need to be outdoors, too. Do you kayak, canoe, or have a larger boat? I love being near a river. Any river.

• Debbie Lynn
        Mar 15, 2020 @ 08:14:58

We sold our canoe when we moved and are trying out the kayaks, but I think we are going to stick with a canoe. A river runs right alongside town-15 minutes from home!

3. onathought
    Mar 14, 2020 @ 23:58:28

yes! The anxiety seems to be coloring my ability to write slices… but I am also so appreciative of the routine of slicing… even if I’m doing it so late most days!

4. livinglife816287820
    Mar 15, 2020 @ 00:13:45

I’m not in the US and in a pretty out of the way spot, so at the moment it’s still a bit vicarious but I can definitely feel the tension in everyone’s posting. Hope you can decide what to do, without feeling you HAVE to do something out of duty. Pray we can all work through this together.

5. Elisabeth Ellington
    Mar 15, 2020 @ 14:13:35

Yes, it can be really challenging! I am trying to be intentional about reading, writing, and doing yoga every day. We’ve had a two-day snowstorm, and though it’s stopped now, it’s not exactly nice to get out. But once the snow melts a bit, I am going to commit to going outside at least every other day! I think those things will help keep me centered.