Reading with Alice

In August, I asked my son if I could practice my teaching with technology skills with my granddaughter, Alice, who is a home-schooled 6-year old. I was thrilled when he and his wife agreed. Alice is the fifth of six children and has a spunky (sometimes sassy) personality. I figured I could help her with her reading as I became more comfortable with Zoom-style instruction.

We now have a routine to work together four mornings a week for about 40 minutes. I sent her a box of reading tools. She has magnetic letters and a tray, a mini-whiteboard, a “bumpy” board, crayons, markers, and a composition book. I also sent her some decodable readers and emergent readers to get her started.

One day last week, we were working with the word, “come.” I knew she would be needing that word soon. First, we tapped it on our left arms and said the letters, c-o-m-e/come. We repeated that several times. We wrote it in the air, on the whiteboard, and with our eyes closed.

I said, “Alice, can you build the word come?”

Immediately, she sat up tall. She pushed the laptop back a little. She moved some papers, and wiggled her bottom in her chair. Finally, she let out a big sigh, and said, “Okay, let’s DO this!”

Whereupon, she built it. I’ve never seen a prouder smile on a child’s face. She turned her tray to the camera to show me “c-o-m-e.” It was perfect.

Next, we got out our book for the day.

I said, “Alice. I think you know a word in this title.”

“Come!” she squealed.

A reading teacher grandma’s delight.

1. Debbie Lynn
    Oct 20, 2020 @ 20:56:26

Oh, I love this story-your grand daughter’s pride with her reading but mostly that you get to teach your grand daughter. How cool is that?

2. onathought
    Oct 20, 2020 @ 21:06:35

What a great story – about your granddaughter and about learning to read!!! So powerful. What a gift to have you on those mornings!

3. Stacey Shubitz
    Oct 20, 2020 @ 21:23:29

Lucky little Alice… and lucky you! How wonderful that you’re working together!

• mgminer
      Oct 21, 2020 @ 17:47:23

It’s made the transition to retirement so much easier. I love teaching OG lessons! I hope you and your family are doing well. I noticed that you’ve had some health challenges. Take care!

4. Karen
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 07:56:20

This was absolutely precious. Thank you for sharing it. 🙂

5. Ramona
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 19:43:03

Love the squeal and the joy in this story! You’re rocking it, grandma!