March 2, 2018

Many of us in the Mid-Atlantic are experiencing fierce winds today. It’s the first time in my memory that school was canceled due to wind. The neighbors’ trash cans are scattered across the road, and I can already hear the sound of wood chippers around the corner. There is an unusual, eerie undercurrent that can be heard as gusts gather speed. This is a time for stretching my brain with a metaphor challenge! I’d love to read/hear your metaphors for wind, too!

• The wind is a percussionist banging pots and pans on my roof.
  • The wind is a tidal wave colliding with the trees.
  • The wind is a bullet train heading this way.
  • The wind is a lion tamer cracking his whip.
  • The wind is a trainer stretching trees muscles.
  • The wind is breath of giants.
  • The wind is an invisible ocean.

The wind is a . . .
What is your metaphor for wind?

1. Ramona
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 12:41:19

The wind is a branch snatcher. We know when our winds pick up because the ground will be littered with branches.

2. sallydonnelly11
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 12:44:09

I love your list! Another slicer said it sounded like a freight train. My tomorrow slice is a little about the wind so check it out tomorrow!

3. franmccrackin
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 15:39:16

I also wrote about the wind today, and your post makes me think more poetically!
    I like the tidal wave and the lion tamer- two different qualities of wind.
    I’m going to have to think of some of my own…

4. luckygurl
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 16:50:44

I’m TERRIBLE with metaphors. The wind bulldozed its way through my yard… The wind had been a merciless thief, leaving behind only the most pitiful of leaves… Okay. Brain spent. Lol!

5. Stacey Taylor
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 17:20:11

I love this post!
    The wind is a woman scorned, slapping my cheeks and pulling my hair.

6. Suzanne
    Mar 02, 2018 @ 19:42:59

The wind is the energy of children left unchecked! Hahaha, love the format and the idea, thanks.

7. mschiubookawrites
    Mar 05, 2018 @ 21:38:18

I love the list of metaphors- what a great classroom challenge! I wrote that the wind is nature’s heavy metal concert.