Weary

Imagine how I felt when I received Maggie’s story a few days ago. Maggie will be five in a few weeks.

She wrote: Maggie was skipping along on the tall grass. She stepped in a muddy puddle. The weary wind was rushing by.

How does an almost five-year-old know the weary wind?

Pure magic.

Maggie, February 2020

1. Betsy Hubbard
    Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:30:11

Oh my heart just bursts when I see little writers do things that amaze and delight! What a wonderful description.

2. writingandlaughing
    Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:32:46

This is so sensorially strong, I love it! The muddy puddle, the rushing and weary wind, the tall grass… I can feel it all. Thanks for sharing this gem!

3. eddiehren
    Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:40:21

Wow. Love it. The magic that comes out of them sometimes sure is remarkable. Thanks for sharing this – sounds like someone has a shot at doing something one day with words! Always great to see!

4. Fran McCrackin
    Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:45:56

What a wonderful line! Truly a small moment to capture. Who knows, she may include your piece and photo in her book talks as an adult author!!
    (Does her grandmother perhaps read her poetry?)

5. Suzanne Richardson
    Mar 05, 2020 @ 16:02:13

Wow, that is beautiful! I am sure we will one day read her published work.

6. Fran Haley
    Mar 05, 2020 @ 18:56:37

So much is packed in these short lines. “Weary wind” -! Children are instinctively poetic. My new granddaughter, age 4, said: “I was crying with my blue eyes.”

7. sallydonnelly11
    Mar 08, 2020 @ 10:16:41

I think she knows because she knows you, a grandma and a poet!! It’s in her genes!! Keep encouraging her as a writer!

8. mbhmaine
    Mar 09, 2020 @ 05:09:42

Oh, this makes me miss writing with young ones! How beautiful!